Thursday, November 5, 2015

Digital Blog Post J

After reading chapter 11 I came across 3 concepts that really stuck out to me, "Involving students in learning and assessment", "Digital Portfolios", "Reasons for Teaching with Clickers". The first concept was "Involving students in learning and assessment" this concept seemed to stick out to me because I don't know about you but when I think assessment I seem to only think about teachers. The only reasons students should be involved is because they are the ones be assessed. The first sentence of this paragraph was the exact opposite of what I was thinking it says "if learning is to be successful, assessment must be participated not only teachers but also by students". I really agree with this paragraph after reading it because if I had the choice of what or how I was learning something I would definitely be more interested in finishing my assignments just like it says in the paragraph.

The second concept I found was "Digital Portfolios" I think this goes with the fact that slowly but surely technology is becoming a huge thing in education. A digital portfolio is everything that is in a paper portfolio just in an online portfolio. It states that this becomes a personal and public piece of writing. I do think that an online portfolio is a huge advantage not only because anyone can see it but in this day and age its easier for students to edit it. I feel like one bad thing would be that it could easily be deleted or lost just because it is online. In the text there is a list of things that are a disadvantage for an online portfolio.

The last concept I found was "Reasons for Teaching with Clickers" I really love this paragraph because I agree with it 100%. A clicker really does give students an advantage by letting get involved with learning instead of just sitting and listening to a teacher lecture. I enjoyed using clickers and playing games during my high school career. It gives a way to get actively involved in the classroom and it can also be competitive for students. I like the fact that it mentions in the text that it allows students to give teacher immediate feed back on their knowledge, allowing teachers to know what certain students are struggling with.


Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc. Prezi by Katelyn Richards

1 comment:

  1. Nice work on your Prezi! You point out an important concept about digital porfolios and just as important is the opportunity to reflect on your accomplishments. That reflective piece can be placed in Socrative, Kahoot, Plickers for the same reason..and I think many have gone to them and away from Clickers per say for that 'just-in-time' assessment.

    ReplyDelete